Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Google Wallet

Google Wallet

  Imagine your smartphone used as your wallet.  You walk to a register, swipe your phone, and walk away.  This would be all thanks to Near Field Communication (NFC- standards-based, short-range wireless connectivity technology that enables convenient short-range communication between electronic devices) as well as Google Wallet. Google Wallet is aimed to make purchases more simple.  When you tap your phone to the register, your phone sends data to the store, and if your phone is unlocked by pin number (meaning you have sufficient funds), the purchase is then paid.  Google Wallet can only be used on a Sprint Mobile network and you must have an android powered phone with NFC.  They on support 2 kinds of credit cards: Citi PayPass and Mastercard.  Google will be making expansions for new phones and credit card carriers that may be used.  Here is a Video on the introduction of Google Wallet:









http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/Near_Field_Communication.html
http://www.google.com/wallet/get.html
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/google-wallet-000902785.html











12 comments:

  1. That is so cool. The wallet phone app would be more safe and be more convenient because it is on one object which is the phone. It is much more safe because it has a lock code and no money falls out of your wallet cause you wouldn't need one. It is also convenient because you don't have to carry around loose change but a big concern of mines is when will they get all of the credit card companies using this and what if the store done carry the technology for this app what would we do then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Innovation is limitless. Google has came along way since launch and it has made life much easier (at least for me with Google docs, shopper, Gmail, etc). I strongly believe in this upcoming technology and looking forward to putting it in use. Everything from banking to shopping is done online nowadays, it will only be a matter of time as this technology becomes part of our daily life and as we move towards a more technological and digital lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google's innovation never fails to amaze me. I have an iPhone so I will anxiously wait for this app to become available to iPhone users. I wonder if stores will charge customers extra for implementing the new technology?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be convenient! I am a big fan of mac/iphones and always tell my friends not to waste their money buying anything else. I love how all the products are components of each other and complement each other. I would definitely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is both a good idea and a scary one. The good part is the convenience that this would provide. If one could have everything in their wallet reduced to being on their phone, if it could be neatly organized, the need to carry a wallet in the back pocket would be eliminated and posture would improve.
    The bad thing is that someone could just look over your shoulder and find out your password when you unlock the phone, you are opening yourself up for some serious identity theft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I think having your cell phone as your wallat is dangerous. What will happen if you loose your wallat and someone uses it for thiere own benifit. I wonder if google will have application to help prevent theft and having valuable financial data on your phone can cause major damange if left in the wrong hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has the potential to change the way we pay, but it also has the potential for disaster. I just cannot see Google Wallet being able to have enough safeguards in place to prevent your average idiot consumer from messing something up. My point of view is if it is not broke do not fix it. I will be sticking with cash and credit/debit cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome concept that will be very convenient and time saving on both parties. The technology can be incorporated into everything that requires a transaction. With the lock code you don't have to worry about it being broken into, unless the hacker follows your finger oil trial to gain access. It will never replace the wallet because you will always need to carry cash in case of people not having the technology to take information from phone. It will be cool to see if the technology will allow individual to exchange financial transactions between phones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel that this is a great technology. There are 2 points I would like to address- First is the ease of the technology. If you lose your wallet, you risk losing cash, debit cards, Social Security cards, and ID's. If you have all of these things into one device, and the device can be locked so that only the user can access it, then you have a less risk of getting cards lost or stolen, losing cash, or becoming a victim of identity theft. My second point is that it is much easier to have a wallet on a phone because then you will always have a real time connection to your bank and accounts, even directly after purchases. I anticipate on seeing more card swipers develop into something that can access this technology in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Technology is continuously improving and impressing us, this technology is completely new and different and could make a noticeable change in our daily lives. From a security perspective, this technology could not be dangerous at all as long as it's provided with an access number in order to use it. From a personal perspective, this technology will have you getting rid of wallets, which is a a good thing for many of those who have many cards or have huge wallets, not just that but it will also have you connected directly to your bank and have more precise information of your accounts. Finally, this is a great technology that could change our societies in so many good ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an interesting concept! I know there are apps for coupons that are similar to this and it seems they were just a stepping stone to an age where we can literally do anything with cellphones. However, I feel like there will need to be a lot of security or people will stop stealing purses and wallet and just take cellphones and pay for things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really interesting technology! People could make payment simply with their smartphones. It's really convenient! It's also much safer than bring a wallet which contains all your cards, IDs, cashes, and so on. However, personally, I think the only problem is that if your cell phones died, your wallet died as well.

    ReplyDelete