Sunday, February 26, 2012

PROTECTION OF INFORMATION

Created by Andrew Withers, Matthew Stoll, Chris Gabb, Troy Cosky, Andrew Hatfield.

Near field communication (NFC) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish radio communication with each other by touching them together or bringing them into close proximity, usually no more than a few centimeters. Present and anticipated applications include contactless transactions, data exchange, and simplified setup of more complex communications such as Wi-Fi. Communication is also possible between an NFC device and an unpowered NFC chip, called a "tag". 

We see how technology is advancing with smartphones and the use of smartphones to purchase products. In our presentation we mentioned how eventually Visa and MasterCard wanted to turn your cell phone into your personal wallet. (NFC) is making this capable and my issues I have with this is protection of personal information. Identity theft is at an all-time high and I see technology outpacing the safety features needed to protect ourselves when using it . What as a society can we do to make sure our Identity is safe? Would you be worried about your information being stolen if you used your phone like a wallet? I’m afraid that were advancing to fast and not taking time to look over everything. 



4 comments:

  1. I completely agree that protecting this information is imperative. My cousin and my debit card information was stolen in the same week. My bank called me and asked if I was traveling in California and NO I wasn't. So they sent me to the frauds department and I have my money back in 4 days. My cousin, on the other hand, had to call him bank himself and take control of the situation. He had to wait 3 weeks for his money though.

    I was very pleased to understand how my bank took action and control of my situation. Monitoring my account to make sure money isn't going where it is not meant to.

    Before this I was VERY oblivious and secure in my banking and spending. People can re-create credit cards just from statements left in the garbage, soft-ware to monitor your computers, and even ATM/gas pump card slot attachments.

    So until it happens to people directly they tend to overlook and no precautions are taken. Now I monitor my account more closely, use the credit option more (less info for them to steal), ensure my bank is protecting my accounts when I travel.

    You can ensure your bank is protecting your money also. If your bank doesn't freeze your bank card or call you if you try and use it in a far away state or country their is a problem. They should know where your card is supposed to be use at and what the exceptions are to this.

    For my situation I go to NY and Florida often, so the east coast is not out out of the ordinary. As for the foreign, mid-west, and far-west spending, the bank locks my account immediately and calls me. If they don't I will call them myself. This has been working well, but people should not wait until money is stolen from them to take action.

    I will be one of the first people to purchase an all-in-one phone for convenience purposes. I expect the security on it will have major walls up to ensure this very personal information is not compromised. Streaming personal information in the public is continuing to be quite efficient, and an increasing liability that demands increased security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be very convenient when I can use my smart phone to purchase products. I wont be the first to use it though, I will let others use it and work out the bugs first. But, it will be very convenient, and I will be glad when I don't have to worry about accidentally misplacing my debit card.

    Also, I wonder if it will actually provide more security and more likely to prevent id theft and credit card theft in the long run? Seems to me that there would be less chance for them to gain my information for fraudulent use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I think the idea that NFC has is a good one, I do not think it is something I would be interested in. It is a very convenient idea to have all your information stored onto your cell phone, but what happens if you lose that? At least with my wallet I may lose one thing out of it but not everything. With a cell phone I would have to cancel my service and cancel credit cards as well as report a lot of other stolen goods.

    To make sure our identity is safe I think that everything should be required to have a password and tracking device within the phone. So, if a thief steals a phone there will be no way for them to access your personal information. Also the tracking device will enable the phone to be located.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that NFC is an amazing advancement, but I also agree that it is a developing technology. We do not know every single risk and privacy feature because it is not in every store. In fact, I have rarely seen this technology put into place. While some may be fearful of having everything put into one place, we do it everyday with our wallets, keys and purses. It is only human nature to want everything with ease, and to be faster. As someone who is not heavily addicted to my smart phone, I would be interested in having access to my cards and money on my phone. But although it would make my life easier, I would really consider the risks of privacy and security of my card info over the telephone.

    ReplyDelete