Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Suit Challenges Landlord's Digital Payment Policy; Tenants See Elder Bias

Some apartment complexes are beginning to make it mandatory for tenants to pay rent digitally. Recently, a suit was filed by four older residents in an apartment complex in Los Angeles, to fight the landlord's policy of mandatory digital payments. Residents of the Woodlake Manor Apartment building received waivers from the policy after a tenants right group organized a mass protest. Some residents believe that a Los Angeles rent stabilization ordinance is driving the Landlord to enforce the digital payment policy, because older residents pay lower rents.

The landlord, Jones & Jones Management Group Inc., argues that the policy is a "green" initiative to save paper and will not be used as a basis for eviction. With technology moving in the direction it is, paper will soon become secondary, and the older generation may have trouble catching up with digital payment methods.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/suit_challenges_landlords_digital_payment_policy_tenants_see_elder_bias/

6 comments:

  1. It is no surprise that the older generations are having problems keeping up with the new technology. The current generation was mostly raised on the idea of fast, digital processes and are used to it. I live in an apartment complex myself that although allows for digital payment online, charges an extra (and what I think expensive) charge for doing so. I think this is completely outrageous as someone who uses electronic payment for everything and I think that that is the best way of doing things. It is truly a show of the times that things are changing to all electronic, I think that in these interim years the "old fashioned way" should be left as a secondary option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand how and why it would be a challenge for older generations to adapt to digital payments, but I, for one, LOVE digital payments. I consider myself as an online shopper. It may not be quicker than just going into the store and purchasing it, but it does provide a wider variety and is usually cheaper. Now I do not just pay on any site. I am also a smart shopper, being aware of who I send my information to. As for rent payment, I view it as an easier and more convenient way of paying (especially if you forgot). I don't know, maybe I'm just lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People definitely need to have the option of paying in the traditional way, by mail, in person or by phone. Some people just aren't very comfortable navigating online, plus there is the issue of security.

    Personally, I pay all of my bills online and find it a convenience. My method of payment is stored on all of the sites and I just hope they have the security to prevent theft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is a bad thing to make them pay only digital payments only. I believe that it is hard for the elderly to keep up with the rapid change in technology. I think that every place should have every payment option available, because lots of people dont have every payment option there is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this interesting when my sister moved into her new apartment last year and told me that the application, rent payments, and other things were all digital. All she had to do once a month was go online and put her credit card information in and hit "pay" and her rent would be paid for that month. I think this digital idea is great because like the article said it does save paper and promote a more greener thinking. I think it is also easier for people and less hassle free in the end. One draw back to this greener idea would maybe be a fear of fraud online with hackers and other people stealing bank information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of having an option of paying for rent digitally. This is a great help if you are able to set up an account that automatically pays every month. This way you wont have to worry about forgetting to pay your rent, because it is going to be payed for automatically. I understand that the older generation that may not be good with handling technology might no like it, so you should always allow an option for other means of payment. I realize it is probably easier for the landlord to collect rent when he doesn't have to deal with personally collecting an counting it, but that is just one of the responsibilities of a landlord and they need to make sure their tenants are happy.

    ReplyDelete